Monday, December 10, 2007

Valued Opinions

So let's just rip into the carcass of this wounded blog I have left out there in my last post with 10 somewhat out there choices for opinions. I mean they all have their merits, but I have had questions from many as to how could I have chosen this one or that one and how could I honestly give credence to their opinions.

Just as I had expected, few could view the subjects entirely without considering how they applied their perspectives or how those perspectives were interpreted by those of you on an individual level rather than how they might have been applicable in a particular scenario or such. How often we fail to make things relative or consider an entire picture before we sit in judgement. Judgement, there is a non-objective term itself. Judgement has its place, but this blog is not it. This is a forum to develop reasoning and perception, embrace possibilities, tolerance and become empowered with spirit to evoke change. Then call to action those skills and change our world.

So, I need you to remember the following basic principles of critical thinking and ethical reasoning before I post 11 more times, one for each individual to give them their dues respectively and then one to bring together how they share principles that make them "great" in MY definition. Because regardless of what I am teaching here, this is MY blog.

* Bear in mind the purpose
* Inferences and Assumptions
* Point of View
* Consequence
* Are there Concepts (laws, theories, etc.?)
* Ensure the following: Clarity, Accuracy, Precision, Relevance, Depth, Breadth, Logic, Significance, Fairness (all of this even has to be applicable by audience)
* Information (Research)
* Beware the human nature of egocentricity (though necessary only in respect to existence itself, completely irrelevant in critical thinking and ethical reasoning)
* Beware and Befriend Language (Communication is Empowerment but only when used respectfully)
* Empathy
* Integrity
* Humility
* Willingness to come to a conclusion

And that is just a brief list to get you started. To think critically and reason ethically, you have to overhaul your natural tendency to think of making the world how you would like for it to be and seeing things from your internal "thumbnail". There isn't a secret decoder ring telling you how to make all the right choices and do everything right that comes in the bottom of the cereal box, the best you can do is get told to "drink your Ovaltine". Besides who is to say what is right nowadays...that is the quandary isn't it.

I will start off in a day or so with the Gendun Drup (the 1st documented (in the most documents I researched) Dalai Lama)). But I am holding off on my first post to get at least a few more comments with your thoughts to the forum, not just to me on why you think I have chosen who I have. Come on now, quit talking just to me and let the community here know what you have to say. I apologize for not allowing anonymous comments, but I find personalization provides for a more intellectual conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Afraid I'm not crazy about some of the people on your list, especially those with a religious mania, such as the Pope and Harriet Tubman (she was always a little too belligerent for my taste). But I can't wait to read your book to find out how you tie all of these people and their philosophies together.

Anonymous said...

I assume mine are the opinions that are causing some controversy (or am I being egocentric again?). At least I'm posting, committing, and putting myself out on a limb, so to speak, unafraid of expressing my opinions and of how others might react. No one can accuse me of being timid! I wonder if others viewing this blog can say the same....