Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gendun Drup

If I had to isolate something as close to pure from an emotional standpoint, it would have to be Buddhism. I am cautious in that statement because there are variations of Buddhism as there are variations of almost everything, yet at the root of all Buddhism are certain fundamentals that are as pure as I believe is understandable and that is what ethics should be, pure that is. Untainted by subjective matters, point of view, inference or even influence is a goal of ethical reasoning but next to impossible. A reasonable goal is to be as close as possible.

I have recognized in Buddhism this regurgitation of praise and respect for life and the universe and all that should be awed. I want to view the world from this purist perspective just once. Gendun Drup being the "First" Dalai Lama would be the purest of all of these I suppose. The least regurgitated as well, his appreciation genuine and modest, his humiliation the utmost and would revel in being humbled by someone so utterly humble. What a revelation.

Gendun Drup also wrote extensively on the values of Tara, whose values are the same as those needed to drive critical thinking and ethical reasoning. If you have such respect and admiration of such things as his writings display, you must exude them in your day to day existence.

In all honor an humility, I present my first person of value.
There will be more future posts on Tara and such long in the future.

Next Post: Harriet Tubman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure "Tara" and "reasoning" are words that should be used in the same sentence, or "Buddhism" and "ethics" either for that matter. Spirituality is the abandonment of reason and there is no such things as ethics in religion. True ethics are based in reason and on what we know to be necessary for man's survival: they don't come from the ramblings of some imaginary super-spirit of the universe.

elainamack said...

Glad you aren't sure because that comment honestly has no validity. During research you come to enlightement and find similarities between things and you use that point of reference to show inference and application. I did not say anything about religion, I didn't even refer to Buddhism as religion. Spirituality itself is a subjective term and your use of it designates that you put your own self into the discussion point. I also, did not support the ramblings of any real or imaginary super-spirit, but documented my admiration for respect for the values and perpetuation of such shown by Buddhists and why I would value their opinion. Perspective gained is imperative to evoking change.

Anonymous said...

That's okay. I was in an irritable mood and just felt like blasting all forms of religion and spirituality as well as their claims to being some higher form of reason and offering mankind the only true ethics. Tara is the mother of wisdom and compassion, right? I have no compassion. Tara was also Scarlett O'Hara's place. In my opinion, both are ludicrous.... But no matter. I look forward to future blogs.