Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What do I see?

When I look around at nature, science and what has been accomplished in the past, it reminds me of our failure in the present to provide for the future.

Architecture, Space Exploration, Medical Research, and Providing for the Common Defense have all been evolving, progressing but ever failing to address the fundamental issues that will actually destroy the human race. The fact that in our arrogant ego-centric cocoons we don't believe there will ever be an end to civilization (used loosely) as we know it contributes to the lack of concern or commitment to change. Change is scary; Different is scary.

Let's blame everything and everyone, but do nothing ourselves to change anything. Utter ignorant brilliance. Brilliant in that it gets you personally uninvolved and that is what most people want, but ignorant because honestly we all need each other and in our efforts to avoid and detach...the community falls apart and it becomes survival of the fittest individuals rather than the healthiest communities (how funny that the greater good is always played down to a personal level). Greater good isn't actually subjective, but everyone manages to interpret it as such.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I think about this a lot. It all started when I read a Hawking quote about how every new technology that man invents to make life easier also bears the weight of being able to destroy us. That resonated with me because I love and depend on those technologies.

Although I depend on these technologies, that does not mean that I can not effect positive change and create awareness within myself and others.

I love the idea of this blog!

I dug these two quotes up for you that I think paraphrase the same fears.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
-Stephen Hawking


It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
-Albert Einstein

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm one of those who is ALWAYS seeing the end of civilization around every corner, almost as if I were a fundamentalist Christian, which I am not. But doesn't it feel sometimes like the last days of the Roman Empire? I don't believe in doing anything for the greater good except improving myself. Your blogs are brilliant, by the way.

elainamack said...

The fundamental point here is that we create that which we blame for everything and fail to reconnect the failure back to ourselves. Oh how convenient the virtual world is...almost as convenient as blaming the education systems for your child's lack of manners. Ever so convenient.